Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Matilda 13.03.16

Matilda
Location: Shubert Theatre, New York City
Date Seen: 13th March 2016
Seen With: Dad
Understudies at This Performance: Geoff Packard as Miss Trunchbull, Sean Montgomery as Mr Wormwood, Scott Difford as The Party Entertainer, Colin Israel as Doctor/Sergei and Amanda LaMotte as The Acrobat

Summary
This review comes just as they’ve recently announced the closure of the Broadway production of Matilda next year. I first saw the show in the West End and the decision to see it on Broadway was last minute, a choice of my dad’s, with tickets purchased from the TKTS Booth in Times Square. Matilda is a musical stage production of the book by Roald Dahl. This review will partly review the Broadway production specifically with regards to the acting, but will cover both productions in terms of the choreography, music and songs and set.

Acting
The acting on the most part was fantastic for this production. Geoff Packard made a formidable Miss Trunchbull and Allison Case was the perfect Miss Honey. They each delivered their performances with my expectations from this show. Mimi Ryder as Matilda gave a headstrong performance and her fellow classmates provided great comedy throughout. Whilst most of the performances were fantastic I was extremely put off by Amy Spanger’s Mrs Wormwood. It felt like all of her lines were shouted and as a result the character seemed one dimensional. It was a disappointment after seeing Mrs Wormwood nailed perfectly by Rebecca Thornhill.

Music & Songs
Tim Minchin’s lyrics and music are such a success. The lyrics in songs such as the ‘School Song’ are extremely clever. It actually took me a listen of the soundtrack to really appreciate the thought that has gone into this song in particular. There are clear flairs of Tim Minchin’s character featured in ‘The Smell Of Rebellion’ which really showcases the character of Miss Trunchbull.  

Choreography
Like the music and lyrics, the choreography is clever and effective. Again, ‘The School Song’ demonstrates this with every letter of the alphabet on a block that fills up the school gates and two ensemble members clever move to climb up these blocks. The choreography also showcases the talents of the child cast, particularly in ‘Revolting Children’ with some great synchronised sections.

Direction
The direction for this show is huge as there are so many elements to focus on but it had been balanced extremely well. Although Matilda is the titular character, every other character has been rounded out well and the dynamics between them has been clearly portrayed.

Set/Lighting
The set revolves around the theme of books and words, which is Matilda’s main interest and a recurring theme in the show. My favourite piece of set is the swings that drop down at the beginning of act two for ‘When I Grow Up’ and is one of the most memorable parts of the show with the cast swinging out above the audience.

Costumes
The costumes for Crunchem Hall are grey or dulled colours and I think this has cleverly represented the misery of life there. Miss Honey’s colourful but understated palette represents the hope that is there for the students. In contrast, the colours used for the Wormwoods are garish and clashing which represents their big and outrageous personalities. I think these contrasts are extremely clever and the costumes have been executed well.

Stand Out Performances
Allison Case as Miss Honey – this was casting done right. Not only did she look right, she had real warmth which is needed. I saw a wonderful Miss Honey in the West End but Allison Case outdid this role by a mile and will be hard to top.

Geoff Packard as Miss Trunchbull – both times I’ve seen Miss Trunchbull it’s been an understudy and both times they’ve got the harshness and unbalanced nature of her correct. I did prefer the understudy Oliver Brooks in the west end as his great height really made him domineering by Geoff Packard performance will be remembered.

The Entire Child Cast – child casts never cease to surprise me and Matilda is no exception. I think Matilda is a more demanding musical for child casts but each actor delivered an impeccable performance.

Show to Show Comparisons
I’m making comparisons here to the London production which for me was superior to its Broadway counterpart.  I feel the London production had more heart and soul behind it and I think this is because it was home grown there. For me, certain actors in the Broadway production didn’t provide the same dynamic or chemistry as those that were seen in London. This could just be due to a large number of understudies however I doubt this was the case as understudies in my experience always give as much, and normally more, than the original casts.

Would I Recommend?
Matilda is a wonderful musical and I’d definitely recommend it, but I’d recommend seeing it in London over Broadway as I think it reigns in its originating country.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):

4 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment