Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Broadway, Broadway!

Broadway, Broadway!

As I don’t have any shows booked until the 22nd January, I thought I’d look back at my trip to New York City last September. It was the first time I’d been back since I was younger and I was now old enough to visit the city alone. My prime reason for visiting was for seeing shows on Broadway, as well as seeing the sights. I loved it so much that I’m returning the second weekend of March. I booked to see Something Rotten this week and there are thoughts of 'winging it' for a second show on arrival.

Until then I thought I’d reflect on the shows I did see with a small summary of my experience of each!

Chicago
Location: Ambassadors Theatre
Date Seen: 14th September 2015
I chose to see this partly because it hasn’t been in the West End since 2012 and I hadn’t seen it since 2009. It was also chosen as my dad likes this musical and he accompanied me to see this. The show was as good as I remember it and we were up close and personal in the second row. Amra Faye Wright still had it as Velma and was I good as I remember her from seeing her in London in 2009. Dylis Croman gave a spectacular performance as Roxie and I think she will be hard to top in my opinion.

Whilst the show was one of the slickest and best I’ve seen, the theatre left me with a touch of disappointment. It did not have the entrance hall or the grandeur of West End theatres and had me wondering if the rest of the theatres I was visiting would be the same.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):
5 Stars


Aladdin

Location: New Amsterdam Theatre
Date Seen: 15th September 2015
My love of Disney’s Aladdin was the main show I wanted to see it since it doesn’t reach the UK until May this year. Although I was gutted James Monroe-Ingleheart wasn’t on as the Genie, his cover Trevor Dion Nicholas was incredible and blew me away and stole the show by a mile! The principle cast in the show is extremely strong, although I did wish Courtney Reed’s Jasmine was a tad feistier. The costumes set are exquisite and the musical numbers really are a sight to be seen! The magic carpet scene is well, magic! In my opinion, whilst the set is good, it didn’t have a complete feeling and could have been much more impressive and I feel this doesn’t mesh the show as well as it could. I will revisit this point when I see the West End’s production.

For me I don’t think this will be as timeless as The Lion King and I don’t this it has the impact as but it will remain a firm favourite for me.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):
4 Stars

Finding Neverland
Location: Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
Date Seen: 16th September 2015
I booked this only a couple of weeks before my holiday and was a random pick. My only influence was that someone I got chatting with recommended the soundtrack and that was that. I couldn’t have predicted how much I would love this show and has become a show quite close to me as I felt it summed up a fantastic trip to NYC. Matthew Morrison as J.M Barrie was a delight and his performance was well rounded. This for me isn’t a musical that packs a particular punch, for me it was poignant and reflective and I liked this change of tone from some of the really up beat, in your face jukebox musicals I’ve seen (not that I think that’s a bad thing!) The songs were what made this – a frequent listening choice for me is the Act 1 finale song ‘Stronger’.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):
4 Stars

Wicked
Location: Gershwin Theatre
Date Seen: 16th September 2015
I can’t quite believe I’m saying this as I am a true fan of Wicked as a musical but for me this production fell short. I enjoyed it but there were some big issues. Rachel Tucker and Kara Lindsay as Elphaba and Glinda were a saving grace for me with their superb onstage chemistry and strong vocal performances. I thought the actor playing Fiyero fell flat – even my dad said so and he isn’t into theatre like me – and I didn’t believe his connection with Elphaba or his surroundings. The whole production for me felt a bit empty – I can’t place my finger on what it was but the show just didn’t feel like it came together and climaxed where it should have done. This could be due to new cast members joining however I was disappointed. That said, I’ve loved all the Glinda’s I’ve seen (one of my favourite musical characters of all time) and Kara really hit that mark in her own unique way and will be a performance I hold on to.

If I got the chance to see Wicked on Broadway again I would – this hasn’t put me off at all as I love the story and was the performance which let this particular one down.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):
3 Stars


So my trip was one full of surprises – I ended up liking things I didn’t expect to and being disappointed with a firm favourite. Who knows what my trip in March will bring?!

No comments:

Post a Comment