Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Miss Saigon 27.01.16

Miss Saigon
Location: Prince Edward Theatre
Date Seen: 27th January 2016
Seen With: 1 Friend
Understudies at This Performance: Sooha Kim as Kim, Christian Rey Marbella as The Engineer and Claire Parrish as Ellen

Summary
Miss Saigon is the story of a Vietnamese bar girl who falls in love with an American GI during the Vietnam War. This is a story of love, loss and desperation and how a mother would make the absolute sacrifice for her child. This is the 4th time I’ve seen this show but it felt like a fresh show for me due to the understudies who brought something unique to each of the roles they played.

Acting
The acting in this is superb. Whether it be the fraught emotions of Kim, the mischievous nature of the Engineer or the sheer desperation from the Vietnamese population – each person who steps foot on the stage delivers to the top of their game. There wasn’t a single moment where I did not believe in what each character was going through.

Music & Songs
The music and songs are what drive this show for me. There are very small breaks for actual dialogue that isn’t sung. The style of the music really transports you to Vietnam at is various difference times throughout the piece.

Choreography
The choreography is strong throughout, whether it is simply through the staging or for specific choreographed numbers. The Heat Is On In Saigon and The Morning Of The Dragon and good examples of the strength of the choreography in the show. Each shows something completely different but are both visually spectacular.

Direction
It is clear that the direction in this show is strong. I know from watching the behind the scenes DVD how certain elements are set up or created and the vision behind it. It really is an insight and to see what I mean I’d urge you to watch the DVD.

Set/Lighting
The use of set in this show is extremely well done. Two main set pieces on either side generate various levels providing an interested visual particularly in the group scenes. The removable ‘Dreamland’ and backstage night club set pieces help to really set the scene. But it’s the set in ‘Kim’s Nightmare’ which steals this show. The clever use of gates to see the points of view of the Vietnamese trying to get to America and the view from the GIs witnessing this desperation is captivating and unsettling. And the way the helicopter is simulated is the set stealer of the whole show. I won’t post spoilers to explain how this is done but it really is phenomenal.

Costumes
The costumes are fantastic in this show. Whether it’s the racy night club costumes, the military GIs uniforms or the Vietnamese clothing, each costume has its place and complements the setting.

Stand Out Performances
Sooha Kim as Kim: What I loved about her performance was her vulnerability. I found she used this to her advantage and her renditions of ‘I’d Give My Life For Your’ and ‘Sun and Moon’ really captured this. I really believed she was whisked away on this romance and I often saw in her face that this really was a bar girl who has just been given a winning ticket out of her poor situation. Her vocals were beautiful and delicate; her first notes in ‘The Heat Is On In Saigon’ really sent shivers down my spine.

Christian Rey Marbella as The Engineer: I absolute love Jon Jon Briones’ engineer so was interested to see Christian’s – and he did not disappoint. All of the mannerisms that make The Engineer were present. He found a good balance

Hugh Maynard as John: The specific part of his performance that was stand out was the final build up in Bui Do. I’ve heard him perform this song before but nothing like what I heard this time round. The power and the passion got and audible ‘wow’ from my friend next to me and he got a huge applause which was well deserved.

Show to Show Comparisons
I have to compare this to other times I’ve seen Miss Saigon. I’ve never seen the same mix of cast once – different Engineer’s, Chris’ and Ellen’s, and this time a cover Kim. I personally still prefer Alister Brammer’s interpretation of Chris as he came across as more naïve and therefore more convincing in the whirlwind romance. I think this is just a personal preference and in no way reflective on the current actor’s performance.

Other than that, I think the show on this night was as strong as always. I actually really enjoyed seeing a different cast as I have a real appreciation for different actors’ takes on roles and different ways of singing a particular song.

Anyone who is disappointed (and I have on occasion when a certain person isn’t on) with covers in the principal roles, should hold off judgement until after the performance. I have been pleasantly surprised on most occasions and for some shows even preferred the understudies!

Would I Recommend?
Yes. If you can see it before it shuts on 27th February 2016 then do. My friend who accompanied me was seeing it for the first time and was blown away. His reaction said it all.

Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):

5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment