Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

In The Heights 27.02.16 [REVISITED]

In The Heights
Location: Kings Cross Theatre
Date Seen: 27th February 2016
Seen With: 3 Friends
Understudies at This Performance: Jocasta Almgill as Vanessa and Alexzandra Sarmiento as Carla

For shows I’ve seen before and have previously reviewed, I don’t plan to do a whole review again. This is the first time I can do a ‘REVISITED’ review where I can add comments on extra observations and performances where different actors may be on for that particular performance.

Since My Last Visit…
When I saw the show last, I have fallen in love with the characters and plot more since I bought the soundtrack. I absolutely love Lin-Manuel Miranda’s style and as a result bought his newest musical Hamilton’s soundtrack which I can’t get enough of.

Whilst having time to listen to the music, I became more excited about seeing the show again with my new understanding of the characters and the music.

Review – REVISITED
I was excited to hear David Bedella was on playing Kevin as I saw his understudy last time. He recently won the WhatsOnStage award for Best Supporting Actor In A Musical and I’m not surprised. One of my friends described him as having one of those voices you’ll never forget like Morgan Freemen. His clarity in every word he spoke or sung was beautiful.

My views on the acting, songs and choreography have not changed and I enjoyed this performance more because I was more emotionally invested in the show.

One thing beyond my control I was sad about was that Jade Ewen was not performing. I love seeing understudies and whilst Jocasta Almigill did a fantastic job, there was something so strong about Ewen’s performance that I couldn’t help thinking something was missing.

What I was pleased to hear is that although the photo in this review shows Philippa Stefani as an understudy, she has in fact been promoted full time to play Daniela (this is reflected on the website). This is something I was over the moon to hear about as she was the best understudy I’ve ever seen and fully deserves this promotion.

Stand Out Performances
Sam Mackay as Usnavi is still the stand out performer for me with Philippa Stefani  as Daniela close behind. One thing I really picked up on this time was the relationships between characters I absolutely loved Sam Mackay’s Usnavi acting alongside Clever September’s Sonny. The family bond between them was so clear and didn’t look like any acting was involved as it was so believable. I also loved the dyanamic between David Bedella’s Kevin and Jodie Benson’s Camila and the song ‘Enough’ once again really captures this.

Would I Still Recommend?
Yes

REVISITED Overall Verdict (Out of 5 Stars):

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment