Zeatre is a theatre review blog documenting my trips to the theatre and my personal experiences.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Weekly Round Up 18.03.16

Shows Seen (From Saturday To Friday): 1
Shows Booked For Future: 1

Since my last weekly round up, I've been and returned from New York City. I'm missing it already as I had a fantastic time. I'm trying to work out when I can next make a trip but due to some huge life changes, its not looking like this year.

Whilst I have contemplated writing a separate post for my trip, it didn't seem necessary as I will be posting my reviews for the shows I saw separately next week (I've been too jet-lagged this week to even begin to write them!). As per my previous blog posts, I saw Something Rotten last Friday 11th March, which I cannot wait to review as it was absolutely superb. It certainly challenges the top of my list for favourite musical! I waited at the stage door for the first time in a while and got my programme signed and a photo with the incredible double Tony Award Winning Christian Borle. What I will say is that this show needs to make its way to the UK as I think it will do brilliantly in London seeing as the whole show focuses on Shakespeare's success. 

My dad and I didn't have anything else booked so we planned to see a show by booking tickets at the TKTS booth, something else I've not done before. I put an initial spanner in the works as after entering the Hamilton daily lottery every day since we were there, on our last full day I decided to try the cancellations queue. 

Tip: If you really want to see Hamilton and get a ticket from the cancellations queue then you really have to be prepared to queue up super early in the morning OR get there partway through the night. I queued on a Sunday which apparently is normally quieter due to Lin Manuel-Miranda not performing, however I was still 13th in the queue when I joined at midday! On the day I went, only 7 tickets were resold via cancellations as the day before it had only been 8 and 3 for the respective shows. 

Whilst I wallowed in my disappointment of my Hamilton dream dying for about a year I quickly went round to the TKTS booth and queued whilst I waited for my dad. He gave me a short list of his preferred shows and in the end I plucked for Matilda because I got good seats near the front of the Orchestra plus I was personally feeling this over Kinky Boots on the day. My dad and I thoroughly enjoyed Matilda so it took the edge off my Hamilton disappointment. I will hopefully post my review for this next week and I will definitely make comparisons to the West End original!

On a look to the future, my best friend booked one show this week for us to see just before here birthday:

1. Wicked 
Wicked is a bit of a firm favourite of mine despite me feeling underwhelmed by my trip to see it on Broadway last year. This will be my 4th time seeing the show and I'm quite excited as right now I'm in the process of creating my own version of Glinda's Bubble Dress. What I know already is that Savannah Stevenson who normally plays Glinda on the West End is on holiday the date we are going so I will be seeing her standby Carina Gillespie instead. This is exciting in itself as it means I've seen a different Glinda each time I've seen this show!

Booked For: 14th April
At: Apollo Victoria


Going With: My best friend, her boyfriend and one of her friends. 

Next week I am seeing The Book Of Mormon for the 5th time but it'll be the first time I've seen it on my own. I've also got a post-show backstage tour which I'm more excited about as this is my favourite musical to date (though this is now being strongly contested by Something Rotten!)

No comments:

Post a Comment